Tamiya P-51D Mustang Build Report 1: Cockpit and Main Assembly
My original intention – to use Tamiya’s 1/48 P-51D as something of a decompression build between the Sopwith Pup and Spitfire Mk.VIII – has foundered somewhat on the twin rocks of advanced modeler’s syndrome and the sheer epicness of Tamiya’s big Spit. However, with the failure of willpower that culminated in my pre-order of Tamiya’s forthcoming 1/32 Mustang, the 1/48 kit has taken on a new urgency as something of warm-up build for that kit, and a perfect platform to work on my natural metal techniques and masking the 352nd’s distinctive blue cowls.
When I cracked open the P-51 box, I was hit by a slew of aftermarket accessories I’d ordered once upon a time: Ultracast gear doors, seat, prop and spinner, Squadron vac-form canopies, and an Eduard PE set.
After painting the cockpit areas with Lifecolor Interior Green, Vallejo black and Floquil weathered black, I opted to use the Eduard PE set in the cockpit, and was immediately unhappy with the quality of the instrument panel.
Ultimately, my displeasure led me to steal the instrument panel from another Tamiya P-51 I have in the stash. After painting and weathering, I used Airscale’s 1/48 instrument panel decals to punch up the gauges. Much better.
New Blast Tubes
Once the cockpit was installed and the fuselage closed, I moved on to the wings. The Tamiya kit’s representation of the P-51′s gun tubes is rather poor, so I drilled them out and replaced them with telescoping brass tubing.
A lot of the Mustang’s speed and range came from it’s cutting-edge laminar flow wing. In order to wring the most efficiency out of the wing as possible, drag had to be minimized as far as possible. To that end, North American Aviation filled all of the flush rivets and panel lines on the forward sections of the wings right on the assembly line, and painted them over with aluminum lacquer. Most Mustang kits, the Tamiya included, retain the original panel lines. I opted to fill them. After taping off the gun doors and the few lines that had to remain, I dabbed the exposed lines with Mr. Surfacer 500, then sanded it down with 400, 1000, and 1200 grit sandpaper.
Once the wings were taken care of, the P-51 literally flew together. Tamiya’s Mustang is the epitome of great fit, and if you’re careful you can get it together with a minimum of fuss.
Now that the Mustang’s together, I need to clean up a few of the seam lines, throw some paint at the wings to make sure the seams are properly filled, and replace some of the brass gun tubes I accidentally knocked into the wings while sanding the filled seams.
After that…it’s paint time!