Last time around, the Mosquito got derailed by a clear coat of Future that, despite being self-leveling, cured into a rough, dusty finish. After wet-sanding and repainting, the Mossie got back to its previous state, and now it’s time to move on and finish the wooden wonder up!
After a coat of Tamiya Clear Gloss (the rattlecan variety), I went to work on the decals. I’d originally planned to use a decal sheet from Decals Carpena, but lost several of the markings in the Future mishap. I opted to fall back on Tamiya’s decals for RS-B of the 157th squadron. The decals went down well enough, for Tamiya stock.
I also used Barracudacals Mosquito stencils, and WOW! Talk about nice decals! Highly recommended for anyone building a Mosquito!
Once the decals cured, they were sealed with another coat of clear gloss. The few panel lines were accentuated with a pin wash of black artist oils, then the entire plane was flat-coated. After this, I moved on to filter washes, first of raw umber, then of black to calm things down.
From here it was a final coat of semi-gloss, minor chipping along the engine cowls (among the only metal skin on the plane), rigging the aerials, and attaching the exhaust shrouds.
The exhaust shrouds and landing gear were weathered with MIG pigments – burnt steel blue and rust over Alclad Exhaust Manifold for the shrouds, and Dark Mud and Black Smoke over Vallejo Black Grey + Leather for the tires.
A little canopy unmasking, attaching the wingtip lights, and that’s it! The Mosquito is done!
Thanks for looking, and be sure to stop back by for future builds!