Build Update – Tamiya P-51D Mustang

Have you ever had a build just start off on the wrong foot and kind of start dragging downhill?

I feel like that’s what’s been happening with my P-51 build.

Things actually started off great. After trimming, cleaning and priming the various cockpit bits, I decided to give Lifecolor another try.

Back when I was building Accurate Miniatures’ SBD-3 Dauntless, I tried to use Lifecolor Interior Green for the cockpit. No matter what I tried, it sprayed like a sloppy, watery mess.

This time around, it sprayed just about perfectly through my Harder & Steenbeck Evolution. So…bonus!

That’s when things started going downhill. My painting seemed “off”. The Eduard PE looked flat and dull (though perhaps that has to do with having the masterful Spitfire VIII interior set on the bench alongside it.

The seat and bulkhead aren’t terrible, but I think I could’ve done better.

At the point where I was wrapping up the cockpit, I decided to back off and start anew with a True Details resin pit.

So…the Mustang is on hold for a few days while I wait for the new cockpit to come in.

In the meantime, the Spitfire’s moving forward, and I’m preparing to kick off a new armor project this Friday. Stay tuned!

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s