1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-2a, Part II

TrumpMe262A2_Log2

Part I | Part II| Part III

It’s been some time since this blog has visited the long in-progress Messerschmitt Me 262A-2a. In Part I, I walked through some early test-fitting and the build-up of the cockpit.

Part II is usually all about the construction, but honestly, the 262 built rather fast and uneventfully. So rather than focus on that, I’m going to use Part II to cover both the construction and the first phase of painting – up through the bare metal finish.

Construction

Like I said, the Me 262 builds up fast. After some painting in the gear bays (bare metal main bay, RLM 02 nose bay) and the engine nacelles, things got glued together pretty fast.

Me 262A-2a 12-07-13 6 photo file_zpsdb4a5dee.jpg

Me 262A-2a 12-15-13 4 photo file_zps64f15dd5.jpg

Collapsed Gear Interlude

One nifty aspect of this build is the 262’s collapsed main landing gear. It gives the plane a certain off-kilter dynamic that adds a surprising degree of visual interest.

 photo me262Franckbest_zps37a7bba1.jpg

But how to pull it off?

Simple, really. The main gears mount into two beefy sockets, keyed so you can’t get them mixed up. I simply took the sprue cutters and snipped off the inboard side of the port socket so the strut would fit, but could be angled in. Viola. It’s now adjustable, so once it goes onto the base I can apply some 15-minute epoxy, set it and forget it.

 photo 06201405255_zpsgjwsp3zx.jpg

Cleanup Hell

While the 262 goes together easily enough, there are a few areas where the fit just isn’t the greatest. And there’s nothing you can really do about it but fill and sand.

So that’s what I did. For what seems like forever.

 photo IMG_20131219_234812_zpsbtgardss.jpg

After sanding and priming with Mr. Surfacer 1200, I found a lot of areas needed some additional attention. Joy.

01_11_14 Me 262A-2a-4-Edit photo 01_11_14Me262A-2a-4-Edit_zpsf66887f7.jpg

01_11_14 Me 262A-2a-5-Edit photo 01_11_14Me262A-2a-5-Edit_zps1369e391.jpg

01_11_14 Me 262A-2a-6-Edit photo 01_11_14Me262A-2a-6-Edit_zps3b59b12f.jpg

Have I mentioned that filling and sanding is my favorite part of this hobby?

After more work with the sanding stick, I finally called it enough. The real 262 is a pretty rough looking beast in the flesh, so these imperfections are actually reasonably authentic. Or…I’ll just tell myself that.

Base & Buff

Once everything was sorted on the sanding side, I broke out the Tamiya X-1 Gloss Black. Since I’m going bare metal on this one, the black base is a standard go-to to give depth to the metal finish.

01_12_14 Me 262A-2a-3 photo 01_12_14Me262A-2a-3_zps4f84566e.jpg

This was then sanded with low-grit sandpaper (2000 and up) and polished with my trusty cloth buffing wheel until it was glass smooth.

 photo IMG_20140114_012516_zpsckfvkuzu.jpg

 photo IMG_20140114_011931_zpslalcmdkq.jpg

Bare Metal, Take 1 – Gunze Super Metallics

My original plan was to use Gunze’s excellent Super Metallics – specifically Super Fine Silver and Super Stainless. So I thinned some SFS with Mr. Leveling Thinner and let fly.

01_14_14 Me 262A-2a-10 photo 01_14_14Me262A-2a-10_zps0542c5b6.jpg

The Super Fine Silver is just beautiful. I could definitely see using it for something like an F-86 Sabre or an early MiG-21. Something where you want that polished “screw camoflage, I want them to find me” look.

01_14_14 Me 262A-2a-4 photo 01_14_14Me262A-2a-4_zps6bfb74da.jpg

I was even prepared to like it on the 262, but then I sprayed the supposedly darker Super Stainless and it dried lighter than the surrounding Super Fine Silver.

Well damn.

Thinking maybe I didn’t want that kind of shine anyway…these bare metal Messerschmitts weren’t exactly polished…I switched over to tried and true Alclad, using a combination of Aluminum, Dark Aluminum and Magnesium to break things up somewhat.

01_15_14 Me 262A-2a-3 photo 01_15_14Me262A-2a-3_zpsc8be692e.jpg

01_15_14 Me 262A-2a-10 photo 01_15_14Me262A-2a-10_zps07a5d476.jpg

This is what I continue to love about Alclad. The shades make it easy to add tonal differences on the fly.

Stay tuned for Part 3 and the next stage of painting up the 262 – the putty lines!

5 thoughts on “1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-2a, Part II

  1. Pingback: 1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-2a, Part III | Doogs' Models

  2. Pingback: Glues I Use – Sprue Cutters Union #26 | Doogs' Models

  3. Pingback: 1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-2a, Part IV | Doogs' Models

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s