- Manufacturer: Tamiya
- Scale: 1:32
- Aircraft: Chance Vought F4U-1 Corsair
- Markings: “Tojo Eats Shit!” | VMF-222 | 1943
- Aftermarket: RB fabric seat harness | Barracuda decals | Barracuda engine correction set | Barracuda wheels | Vector cowl flaps | Maketar masks
- Paints: Gunze Mr. Color | Tamiya | AMMO | Vallejo | AK Interactive
What’s the point in even trying to review this kit?
I’ve had some amazing models make their way across my bench. Tamiya’s 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII and 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt. HK Models’ 1/32 B-25. Trumpeter’s T-80BV. Wingnut’s Sopwith Pup and Sopwith Snipe.
Tamiya’s Corsair makes them all look second-rate. It’s a staggering accomplishment in detail, engineering and fit. It’s as close to perfection as I’ve seen in injection molding.
If you like building models, buy it. If it seems expensive, save up and buy it. It’s that good.
- RB Fabric Belts: Solid as usual, though if I’m being honest, I slightly prefer HGW’s new laser-cut beauties.
- Barracuda Decals: I used the cockpit stencils and Birdcage Corsairs decal sheets for this build and was happy enough with both, though they seemed slightly thicker than Barracuda sheets I’ve used in the past.
- Barracuda Engine Set: Tamiya’s engine is perfect – for the F4U-1A Corsair. The Birdcage’s R-2800 was a slightly earlier model with some different details, which Barracuda provides. Very much worth it.
- Barracuda Wheels: Nicely detailed and nowhere near as punishing to build up as some other resin options. Definitely worth pursuing to get away from one of Tamiya’s few flubs – vinyl tires.
- Vector Cowl Flaps: Add a ton of detail over the barren Tamiya flaps. While they’re fussy as hell to install, if you’re planning to do open cowl flaps (which you should, because they look awesome on the Corsair), these are worth a look.
- Maketar Paint Masks: I miss Scale Precision Masks and the way it used a different mask for each stage of an insignia, but Maketar is a very good alternate. Their sets are high quality, well thought out, and I like that they offer not just specific subjects (like the Corsair), but generic insignia and code sets as well. If you need masks, check them out.
Check out all build photos over at SmugMug
Back to COMPLETED BUILDS